Saturday, February 23, 2019

"Made for the Journey" Book Review


I wonder if sometimes we get the notion in our head that when God calls someone to do something hard that, in some way, they are different than we are. Surely I could never do what they did. That's why God would never ask me to do it!  But then I remember that Moses stuttered and Timothy had anxiety and Ruth was a dirt poor foreigner.

As I started reading "Made for the Journey", I was struck by how, and I mean this in a profoundly good way, regular Elisabeth Elliot was. She was just like you or me. But she loved God and wanted to be used by Him so she stepped up the altar and offered her life, her 'rights', her comfort.  That's what we're all called to do. Dying to self is the only way to real living.

Having the luxury of knowing how her life played out - displaying forgiveness and love on a monumental scale, it was neat to read how it all began, in just a humble ordinary way.  I have often said to others - Don't mistake spectacular for supernatural.  Just because something is small doesn't mean it isn't divinely empowered. You have no idea where it will lead. That's what this book drove home for me.

Take the one step.

Then, when God speaks, take the next step. And before you know it, you've finished the race.  I once read, "Simple and easy are not the same thing.  Running a marathon is simple; just keep putting one foot in front of the other. But it sure isn't easy."

Thank you Mrs. Elliot for letting God be magnified by your life.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment