Thursday, June 15, 2017

"The Captain's Daughter" Book Review


Oh my daughter was walking around on cloud nine after reading "The Captain's Daughter".

"Mom, it's so romantic." (breathless sigh)

 Oh to be young again.

"The Captain's Daughter" is a sweet and charming tale of a woman who is trying to make a go of it after having to run away from a horrid boss.  Every chapter or so I thought, "Oh dear, here comes the really distressing part of the plot." only to have it never turn out too poorly for our heroine. Sure it might seem all too convenient and out of touch with reality but I for one was glad. It's nice to read stories without a lot of distress. Goodness! If I want distress, I'll watch the news.

I liked how the author subtly showed how easy it is to find yourself in compromising circumstances. It's not always what you do but what it looks like you're doing. Often I've tried to instruct my children about living a life that can't be misconstrued no matter how someone views it so it's nice to have a fictional book back me up.

I have nothing critical to say against this book. Although I should warn that forced prostitution, sex, kidnapping etc are discussed in a very muted manner. I certainly didn't feel as though my 14 year old daughter shouldn't read it though.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment