Thursday, June 15, 2017

"Invitation" Book Review


Have you ever watched "The Twilight Zone"?  If you have, and if you liked it, you'll like "Invitation".  It was like no other book I've read before but I still can't quite decided if I enjoyed it.

"Invitation" is 4 mini-books in one. Almost like scripts for episodes of a running TV show instead of one long plot.  All 4 contain the same main characters and builds on the one before but had separate plot lines.  Each mini-book is authored by one of 4 authors and is written from a different character's point of view and had that character as the focal point.

Admittedly the for the first while, I felt confused - couldn't keep the characters straight.  And each time a story came to an end, I was left feeling unsatisfied - much like "The Twilight Zone" used to leave its viewers. Soooo, was it aliens or a dream or their imagination???  The answer is never really given.

I'm a simple gal. I like things that make sense and I like all the ends to be tied up by the final page. Because of this, by the last mini-book, since I knew I likely wasn't going to get plot satisfaction, the compulsion to dive in was greatly lessened.

"Invitation" wasn't the worst book I've ever read but Peretti and Hunt are two of my favorite authors so I was expecting a fantastic book. From this book, I would say they do better on their own - with license to use as many pages as necessary to tell the whole story.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment