Thursday, March 10, 2016

"Annabel Lee' Book Review


They say you can't judge a book by its cover. You can with this one. Dark, mysterious, twisting, so good.  I.loved.this.book. I don't even know how to give a quick plot synopsis so the following is the press material for "Annabell Lee".

Fourteen miles east of Peachtree, Alabama, a secret is hidden.
The secret's name is Annabel Lee.

She doesn't know why her enigmatic uncle has stowed her deep underground in a military-style bunker. He's left her with a few German words, a barely controlled guard dog, and a single command: "Don't open that door for anybody, you got it? Not even me."

Miles away in Atlanta, private investigator Trudi Coffey is visited by a mysterious older man calling himself Dr. Smith. He's been trailing a man for a decade--a man she met through her ex-partner Samuel Hill--and the trail has led him to her office. The last thing Trudi wants to do is to contact Samuel. But it will take both of them to unravel this mystery--before it's too late.


Still doesn't do it justice.

I'm afraid I wasn't the best parent while reading this book because I couldn't put it down and more than once hid in my bedroom to finish another chapter uninterrupted. At one point, while reading on the living room couch, I happened to look out the window and saw a pickup truck driving slowly by our house. I knew "Annabel Lee" had me under its spell when my first thought was, "That pickup is up to something!" Perhaps I'd better read a comedy next.

There was nothing overly gory in this book but it was violent and there are some dark parts to it. And while it doesn't happen in the story, sexual violence is alluded to. My mystery loving young teen daughter took one look at the cover and started reading it before I had a chance. Upon finishing, she said it was too much for her. And truthfully, if I'd read it first, I would have suggested she wait until she was older.

Author Mike Nappa - you have managed to write a novel that I'm tempted to reread sometime. That is no small feat.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment