Monday, January 25, 2016

"The Midwife's Choice" Book Review


On the back cover of "The Midwife's Choice" by Delia Parr, near the bar code, is its genre classification - Historical Romance. However, unless the relationship between a mother and daughter can be called a romance, which I would say it cannot, this would be better classified as Historical Fiction. I suppose there was a bit of romance along the way but if you're looking to set your heart all a-flutter, this likely isn't the book for you.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy "The Midwife's Choice". It just wasn't what I was expecting. Instead of reading about swooning hearts, the story talks about abusive relationships, familial fractures, and the deep bond between sisters. The author used midwifery as a means to have the main character travel to certain houses which allowed the plot of advance in a believable way. It didn't detract from the plot. (Perhaps I'm bias though since I used midwives for the birth of my own children.)

The author did a nice job of steering clear of bogged-down setting descriptions and repetitive exposition which resulted in a book that was easy to read. I can't say I loved the main character. In fact, I found her a bit annoying. However, I suppose if an author can cause a cathartic response in their reader, for good or bad, they've don't their job. A sprinkling of Christianity throughout the book was also tastefully done meaning there were no page long sermons.

One last thing:
The parts of the book that dealt with a heavier topics were free of graphic detail but I would still issue a caution about giving this novel to your younger teen daughter.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."
(However my review of based on my honest opinion.)

No comments:

Post a Comment