Wednesday, May 23, 2018


I.LOVE.THIS.BOOK!

Admittedly "A Light on the Hill", with its biblical backdrop, is part of my favorite genre so it already had that going for it but man oh man did I enjoy it. I love when authors take a biblical concept, in this case cities of refuge, and build an entire story line on them.  In "A Light on the Hill", the main character, Moriyah, has to run for refuge after accidentally killing two people.

Before reading this book, I hadn't given refuge cities much thought other than they they showcased God's love of justice. But the way author Connilyn Cossette marries the character's distress over her own guilt with the tension of being chased was amazing and thought provoking. What happens when the next of kin wants to kill you? What happens if they don't? How are you going to manage to flee to a far away city with basically only the clothes on your back before the next of kin reaches you?

Thankfully, we had a few days of good weather when I started reading this book because all I wanted to do was lie in my backyard hammock with "Light On the Hill" in hand. It pulled me in like few books do and I found myself surprisingly upset when it was over. I had come to care about the main characters and wanted to know what happened next to them. This isn't to say the book didn't have a satisfactory ending. It most certainly did. It was more like when you binge watch an incredible TV series only to come to the end of its last season. The characters have become almost like friends and you're sad to say goodbye.

I can not recommend this book highly enough. Nor can I wait for book #2 to come out.  Well Done!!!

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment