Wednesday, May 16, 2018

"Beneath the Surface" Book Review



My poor daughter. She adores romantic mysteries. Every few hours, I'd see her curled up ravenously reading a few more chapters of "Beneath the Surface" by Lynn H. Blackburn only to then suffer a concussion from falling down the stairs before she could finish it.  Now reading hurts and she's on doctor's orders not to read anything for a couple of weeks. Her exasperation is palpable. "It's SUCH a GOOD book!" is her cry.

Even though, technically, I'm the book reviewer, seldom to I get the chance to read the novel before her. She's so quick to scoop them up while I'm doing other frivolous things like setting the table or paying the bills.  "Beneath the Surface" would have been no different except for her untimely accident.  When I went to her room to request the book, she reluctantly passed it over but only after making me swear to not move her book mark.

Once into the story, I can see why she enjoyed it so thoroughly.  From the first chapter, "Beneath the Surface" had me wondering 'who done it'. I'm not sure exactly how to comment on the mystery part of the book without giving anything away so I'll just leave it at that.  As far as the romantic side of the book. It was sweet but not sickeningly sweet. Well written.

The only part of "Beneath the Surface" that made me raise an eyebrow just a hair was how often the police stayed at the victim's house. Sure, she's known to them but do cops really include a victim in pretty much every facet of an investigation? Even bunking at her house? For all I know, it really does play out that way in real life.

Don't let that last paragraph throw you off. This was a delightful book that, while centering around fairly grisly murders, isn't graphic.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."


No comments:

Post a Comment