Monday, September 5, 2016

"A Sunday Horse" Movie Review


I suppose I should start off by admitting that I wouldn't qualify as a horse lover. I think they are beautiful majestic creatures but I would never kiss one on the snout. Oh, and before watching this movie, I didn't know what a 'sunday horse' was.  There are a few people in my life who are horse lovers. It's almost like horses give them a reason for living. While I don't understand it, their passion makes me smile.

"A Sunday Horse" is the true story of a woman who managed to not only enter the for-the-rich-only world of show jumping but excelled. Just as she arrived at the top of her game, this woman, Debi Connor, then fell from her horse and spent months learning to walk again. Determined not to give up, she overcame huge obstacles to once again successfully compete in show jumping.

Because, as I said, I'm not a horse lover, horse movies aren't my go-to form of entertainment. However, I quite enjoyed "A Sunday Horse". My husband and I discussed the quality of acting and we both felt that the actress playing Debi's mother was painful to watch. However, I don't know the real life mother. Maybe this portrayal was spot on.  My one teen son was annoyed by the obviousness of the outcome of each competition. But as I explained to him, if she didn't win, there wouldn't be a movie on her life.

This was a movie that's great for the whole family with the exception of teen sons. Both of mine only watched it because I had chips. And afterwards, I wish they hadn't. They would look at me with a "Are you kidding me?" face whenever the main character got emotional about her horse. On the other hand, my teen daughter had tears in her eyes. (She loves horses) There are a handful of d-mns spoken and one instance of the main character declaring she 'has the balls' to ride. Other than that, this movie is completely family friendly. Plus there is a strong faith element to the story line.

If you like horse movies, you'll really enjoy "A Sunday Horse". If you don't, you'll likely think it's unremarkable as it mirrors many of the sport comeback story movies out there. I'm glad I watched it but I wouldn't watch it again.

"Movie has been provided courtesy of Mongrel Canada and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc."

No comments:

Post a Comment