Thursday, June 2, 2016

"Children of God" CD by Phil Wickham - Review


Although Phil Wickham has put out many CDs in the past, this is the first one that I have listened to.

Phil Wickham has a great voice! If you could combine the vocals of Michael W. Smith and Bono, you'd have Phil Wickham. The style of music is reminiscent of these two artists too.
However, I felt quite frustrated while listening to "Children of God" because the songs do what so many praise songs do. They start out with a wonderful uplifting verse and then are followed by one or two lines that are sung over and over until your daughter, who's in the car with you, finally begs you to skip to the next song. True story.

There wasn't one song that we listened to the very end. And, as per the norm in the praise/worship genre, the repeated line is accompanied by high pitched electric guitar and overwhelming drums that seem to be trying to make up for the lack of lyrical ingenuity.

This is an industry standard which frustrates me to no end because my teens don't want to listen to most of the faith based music out there. And I don't blame them. It's annoying to the ears.

I loved the first minute of every song on "Children of God" but...

I'm still waiting for a praise/worship CD to be released that carries no repeating phrases and doesn't try to elicit emotion through whining musical build up. The makers of this CD are obviously very talented. I just wish they would stop when the lyrics stop.

Of course, you don't have to take my word for it. Here are some links - judge for yourself and tell me if you agree.

iTunes: http://smarturl.it/PW-COGiTunes
Amazon: http://smarturl.it/PW-COG-Amazon
Spotify: http://smarturl.it/PW-COG-Spotify
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQyXsJMkUPg
 
 
BTW,
"Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Bono and MW Smith. Nice. Had to look him up. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete