Monday, April 4, 2011

Math books and Jean Jumpers

A few days ago I took the hand of a friend of mine who has homeschooled for a couple of years now and braved my first homeschooling curriculum fair. Suddenly I wished I hadn't dyed half of my head bright red and why on earth did wearing tight, though comfy, yoga pants seem like a good idea? To be honest there were lots of woman who would describe their sense of fashion with the same adjectives as I would.(I used the word "adjective" cuz I homeschool.) In fact awhile back I took the kids to the library during the day and a woman there asked me if I homeschooled. When I replied, "Yes.", she said she did too. This woman was as goth punk as ever you've seen and with joy and delight I took this woman's hand and said,"Oh good! You don't look like you would own a jean jumper!" She laughed and I cried with relief. Could it be I was mistaken with my stereotyping? Is anyone every not mistaken with their stereotyping? I'm still not over my surgery from 3 weeks ago so the book fair wasn't as pleasant as it could have been. Holy Crowds Batman! I had no idea! There was more pushing and shoving at the bargain bins than at a blue light special! Okay I made that up but in truth you could see the look of hysteria behind many of those polite faces, mine included. I figure it cost me $1300 last year to homeschool and it'll cost me about $900 this year so if I can get a spelling book for 50% off, look out! I've got steel elbows and I ain't afraid to use them. (But I can't use the word ain't cuz I homeschool.)

No comments:

Post a Comment