Friday, August 4, 2017

"Under the Summer Sky" Book Review


It's going to be hard to write a review on "Under a Summer Sky" without almost giving away the ending. I'll try my best but if you really don't want to know anything other than whether I liked it, I'll give you the short answer here so that you can stop reading.  I liked it. 4 out of 5 stars.

Oh man! The villian in this book had me on edge! Every time author Melody Carlson brought antagonist Amyra into the story, I could feel my own stress levels rise. I could also feel myself getting far more emotionally involved than I normally do when I read a novel and that's likely because the characters were so well written. I cared about their well-being. (kind of silly when you stop and think about it)  Over and over it seems like Amyra is going to destroy everything our heroine, Nicole, has worked for. And yet over and over, (warning - potential spoiler alert) nothing bad happens. It's like everything Nicole touches turns to gold. It certainly played with my emotions to repeatedly come to the precipice only to have it dissolve into a happy world of blessings.

I appreciated how the author didn't let any of the character's poor behavior pass without further exploration of the 'why' behind the 'what'. There's always something motivating mean or erratic people. Understanding why they do what they do makes for an interesting read.

I was left with a number of questions: Why was Nicole given so much responsibility in the first place? What happened after her boss's return? Did the brother she didn't chose find love?

"Under the Summer Sky" was a fun read. It should be noted that while there is no ghosts or supernatural occurrences in the story, because the setting is Savannah, Georgia, ghosts and haunted houses are frequently mentioned.

Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment