Friday, December 11, 2015

"Until the Dawn" Book Review


Fluffy novels are novels that you read when you want to feel light as the end. There's nothing distressing about them nor are they mentally strenuous. They are also surprisingly hard to write well. Too often they fall victim to painfully repetitious statements of doe-eyed  optimism and continual misunderstandings between the main characters. So when the author of "Until the Dawn", Elizabeth Camden, manages to pull it off, I applaud. Life is exhausting; well written fluff is greatly appreciated.

Oh, I'm not going to lie, the main heroine's inextinguishable love of cooking for a man who casts cruelty her way at every turn is not exactly relate-able but the touch of mystery in this romance makes up for it.  Plus, the characters were well written and the plot moved along at a good pace. Also the main female character's good nature's effect on the characters is a good reminder of what it means to be a light in the world.

Thankfully, I was given "Until the Dawn" to review just as the flu hit. My stomach was in turmoil but my head was clear which led me to read. And read I did. The calming nature of this delightful tale lent itself nicely to my distressed state. Imagine how joyful it would be with a healthy body.

 (spoiler warning) I'll try to be as vague as possible as to not give away more detail then necessary to make my point.
My one concern with this book is this:
As I sit here typing, my 13 year old daughter is reading "Until the Dawn" and I wonder, "Should I be allowing it?" The book seems to say that if you're a Christian, your good nature and love will make up for a person's surly attitude and Atheism. It also seems to say it's okay to jump into a marriage as soon as someone makes a profession. More than once I've known of people who 'convert' for the sake of someone they have their eyes on only to admit later that it wasn't genuine. Truly, I'd counsel anyone to wait until they see sufficient fruit to prove the new life within a person. Perhaps I'm being trivial but given the ramifications, I think not.

Apart from that, "Until the Dawn" is a delightful tale where good conquers evil which, in the day and age we live, is sorely needed.


Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.



No comments:

Post a Comment