Thursday, May 14, 2015

"The Hiding Place" Young Reader's Edition - Book Review

The photo is not of the Young Reader's Edition but of the 35th Anniversary Edition. However, they are extremely similar.

Corrie Ten Boom's story is the thing of legend. Who hasn't been inspired by her life? I had read the adult version of "The Hiding Place" before so I was familiar with the story before reading this version - the Young Reader's Edition. I remember telling her story to a group of children at our church's Vacation Bible School one summer. Over the course of 5 days, I presented them with the hardships and lessons Miss Ten Boom shares. One the last day, when I was telling them of her encounter with a cruel soldier years later in life - when he asked for her forgiveness, they sat in rapt attention. Of course, it probably concerned them that I couldn't even get the words out I was fighting tears so hard myself. If by the grace of God, Corrie can forgive her torturer, what can I not forgive? Powerful.

At the beginning of this young reader's edition, I had a hard time following the characters, setting and plot. It just seemed like too many descriptors and names were given all at once and it was difficult to create a picture in my mind of her house. However, at it went along, I found myself swept away by the dramatic unfolding of her life. I marveled at God's goodness in the darkest place and was inspired by her sister Betsie's agape love. Every couple of pages there is an illustration that perfectly complimented the storyline - not too graphic but enough to give a spark to the imagination.

In my opinion, this is a life story that should be mandatory reading for every young person. It's just so rich with life lessons and makes you stop and think, "What am I willing to do to stand up to evil?" Especially as we see the world quickly imploding and humanity reaching new levels of degradation, Corrie Ten Boom's story serves as a reminder of all that is important and how the One True God will see us through.

BTW, I was given a copy of this book by Chosen: a division of Baker Publishing Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment