Monday, February 2, 2015

"Team Us" book review

I have 5 siblings all brothers except 4 of them. According to birth order I'm number 4. But because my husband and I got married a few days after I was out of high school, I got married before any of them. It also means I got married before all of my friends. What I didn't realize at the time was that handing out marriage advice based on your own union is a bad idea because no other couple out there just like the two of you.

Now don't get me wrong, "Team Us" by Ashleigh Slater is not all advice based on her marriage but at times it come across that way. And I can't say I loved the blurps by her husband Ted either because hearing a man talk about what he wants his wife to do doesn't help me to know what's going on in MY husband's head. It doesn't always translate in real life. In fact, my husband often jokes about women's magazines and says, "Well, I guess I'd better read some of these to find out what I'm really thinking."

Most of the advice given in "Team Us" was the usual: communicate, give, surrender... I can't say as that a single page inspired me to change in the least. (Maybe I'm just that great of a wife already ha ha) Nothing the author said was wrong; it was just sort of, well, pithy. I was on vacation when I read it and as I started into it, my mother, who was sitting beside me, said, "Let me know if you come across anything good." My reply a few moments later was, "I'm skimming." Not a good sign.

I have been married 18 years and can honestly say it's getting better and better all the time. And truth be told, I bet this book would have been far more valuable to me in the beginning - before I learned the hard way simple yet life changing truths like - don't say anything bad about your husband and be kind. And in fact, if someone who was in the first few years of marriage wanted to read it, I'd be encouraging because there are lots of things that are new to me that seem like old news to others. But if I hadn't learned it, I STILL wouldn't know it. "Team US" just isn't for those who have been married for any length of time. (I almost didn't be past the first few pages because the author said we were supposed to read it as a couple. Right there she proved she doesn't understand the dynamic of most couples.)

I'm having a draw for a free copy of this book on February 12th so leave a comment if you want in. Good luck!

"Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.

Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway. If you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.”


No comments:

Post a Comment