Saturday, November 15, 2014

"Small Talk" review and sweepstake

For the first few pages of "Small Talk" by Amy Julia Becker, I thought, "Hey, I'm going to like this book." Then, a few pages later, I started getting a toothache from the sweetness. Can anyone really be this lovely? Still not sure. I can remember when my kids were little thinking, "I bet this is exactly how God sees me" as they would fit against the help I was trying to give. Without a doubt, I learned much about my relationship with God through my relationship with my kids. But...but... even after receiving those lessons, the day didn't always end with a tea party and a blissful snuggle fest like the book suggests happens in the author's world.

Sure it's encouraging to hear about someone who has gone through a great struggle only to come out of the other side shining but it leaves the rest of us wondering - What's wrong with me?

There are parts of "Small Talk" that I really enjoyed. For example, I loved the answer Ms. Becker gives in response to the seemed biblical contradictions.

"...Maybe I will put out a cookbook and a poem about food, and we will compare and contrast these two genres. We will note together how the cookbook gives specific instructions, with little room for interpretation or ambiguity. We will note how the poem, even if devoted to the same subject matter, is trying to tell us something very different, something about the experience of eating, something about being human." Brilliant.

All of the teaching in the book is biblical and it's great to be reminded of prioritizing, how much God loves us and is gracious. Nothing made me go, "Snap doodle, that's amazing." but occasionally I did think, "Oh yeah, I forgot I'd decided to step it up in that area."

I think there is a blessing to be had in reading "Small Talk" if you can handle the sweetness. I'd suggest putting it beside the toilet. Like fudge, it's good in small quantities.

And, drum roll please, I have a copy to give away!! Happy Dance!! Leave a comment below to have your name entered in a draw for a free copy mailed to you right from the publisher. Good luck.

Draw will be November 25th.










"Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.

Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway. If you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.”

No comments:

Post a Comment